CindyFrench-stranger than fiction stories

about facing life with hope and confidence, no matter the diagnosis

  • Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 137 other followers

  • Recent Posts

  • Categories

  • Follow CindyFrench-stranger than fiction stories on

I’ve been a little busy in the hospital again…

Posted by Cindy H French on 03/11/2012

I thought that I had had everything happen to my body already! But I keep learning about the other parts we never think about! Then last Thursday, the 1st, I discovered a whole new neurological experience. It started with my legs disappearing when I got out of the tub. Luckily I found them before I fell and broke something important. My husband saw the incident though and said he thought he should drive me around for the day. I had an eye appt. My “RA” eyes again-apparently this is going to be a continuing issue-something else to pray about! and then I had a hair appt late in the afternoon. Dennis drove me over there and insisted on staying-read a book in the car the whole time.

I love going to Colleen to do my hair. She has taken care of my hair for about 20 yrs I think!  A strong Christian, single woman with a very interesting life and friends and family. I love talking with her and love her insight.  I had been telling her about my day, when all of a sudden, my whole body started shaking and my arms and legs were shaking and flying around and all I could say was Oh, MY! Look at this!  Colleen was truly freaked I think. It lasted forever and not so long, so she said-30 seconds. She wanted me to go to the ER right away, but NO, I was trying so hard to stay out of the hospital this year and I hadn’t lost consciousness or foamed at the mouth or anything. So I told her I would monitor things-let my husband know and then we’d see what to do. I knew that I had doctor appts the next day I needed to keep. Dennis drove me again. I did tell the first doctor about it. She didn’t tell me to go to the hospital. And then because once again, I messed up writing the time of an appt down, we didn’t make the 2nd appt. Saturday at the grocery store, it became very obvious that I was losing my balance. .. Not to me, but to Dennis who was afraid I would fall and break something. So instead of helping with the shopping I just held onto the basket. He had told me not to let go of it or wander off! It was like being 5 again! Then he said he was taking me to the ER the next morning. I still didn’t want to go. So I prayed and asked God to make it really clear if I needed to go or I could stay. He says He will whisper in our ear the way to go (Is 30: 21 ) As soon as I opened one eye in the morning,I knew I was in trouble. I had the worst headache I had ever had! And believe me, I have had some doozies! I told my husband to take me to the hospital immediately. He asked if he had time to clean up and pack me up, but I said no. I thought I had waited too long and had had a bleed. So off we rushed.

I do thank the Lord for things like CTscans and MRIs and all the other wonderful diagnostic equipment available to us in our world today. My best news was that I had not had a bleed.  But the scan also didn’t show any swelling or vascular growth like I had 2 years ago with the brain tumors and I know I am growing another one. You can see it on the outside, and even feel it on the outside, but apparently it’s not big enough for the MRI? Or maybe I just get to have something altogether new this time. But there is something new on my left side of my head at my crown. The doctor gave me demerol for the headache, but by then I had hurt for so long and so bad, it didn’t help a lot; I got a 2nd shot as soon as it was possible to have it. By this time, we had been waiting quite awhile for my primary care hospital doc to come check me out and he was a no show! But just as Dennis was telling the nurse we were leaving, the doc was on the other line saying he wanted to examine me before he could let me go. So up we went to the neuro floor (one of the best floors in the hospital) and I went thru the standard neuro exam which I failed. The doc said I really needed to stay for more testing, so we agreed. My husband left to go get my things, the doc wrote the orders and the nurse came in to play their million questions game.

I was seated in bed answering her questions when all of a sudden, I had another “seizure” like the first one! And I told her that!Cause I was fully aware and awake-and she had me lay back down so that I wouldn’t fall out of the bed. So much for this being an anomaly, I said. She made notes about it in the computer and then continued with her questions and then for the first time in my life, alarmed my bed! Said it was for my safety. They didn’t want me getting up by myself and falling and hurting myself or breaking something.  (later that day, I did step off the bed just for a second-and yes all the bells went off and I had 4 people in my room before I could say squat!) They even had my bed rails covered-again for my protection!

I guess I don’t need to say that at this point I was somewhat discouraged? maybe a bit depressed? I did cry out to the Lord that night and in the early mornings-they get you up several times, so you have several early mornings. I reminded Him of all of His promises that He had given me, even of that core of pain healing that I had had and now this? I didn’t understand any of it…but My Father swiftly reminded me that His ways are not my ways, His thoughts, not my thoughts. He has been hammering that home just a bit lately. He also reminded of last May when He told me that if He brought to the hospital to stay it was to do His work. So I stewed on that a bit. And then the loveliest man came into my room,one of the chaplains from the hospital. And he said Oh the Holy Spirit is in this room. I said Oh, good you are a believer! Yes ma’am he replied and we began to share one with the other. I was really able to tell him what was on my heart. When he got ready to leave he said, the hospital has us here to offer blessings to the patients, but you have been my blessing today. Now I want you to know there is absolutely nothing he could have said that would have struck my heart more. But it was like I had received a blessing-and now I did feel like I could share– if there was anybody to share with of course –because my joy was full again.

More tomorrow…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: